The few of you who speak Thai are laughing at my title right now. For the others, here is a 10 second lesson. Songkran is the word for the Thai New Year holiday that is going on right now, basically a big, countrywide, fun water fight. Ironically, the word songkram means war and that is kinda what's taking place in the streets of Bangkok as I write.
I am writing this from a coffee shop in the city of Chiang Rai. The coffee shops have free internet and some even throw in the added comfort of AC, so this one is the ticket. I am happy to be dry and cool, for outside the window about 20 feet from my writing post, a massive water war claims the dry comfort of every uncovered passerby. It’s Songkran; Thailand’s New Year celebration occurring in the hottest part of the Thai year.
There are various Buddhist activities connected with the Songkran New Year celebrations. Saturday they cleaned our neighborhood. Cleaning and tidying up at home and in the neighborhood is the first stage of preparing your home and family for blessings of good luck. A small benefit for our home is cleaner streets and our neighbor usually cuts the weeds in front of our house so that our overgrowth won’t mess up his blessings (that is a partial joke, really I think he is just being nice and we are blessed by him).
This morning as Julie, Jak and I rode bikes, we watched all the Thai people visiting the temples in order to make merit (to do good deeds) by blessing the temples with money and decoration, the idols with bows and adulation, and the monks with food and other necessities. This is all to prime the blessings of good luck for their homes this year. As we pedal on our way, the smoke from incense sticks wafts from small altars dedicated to the spirits that inhabit the tiny spirit houses next to people’s home. These mini homes are provided for any spirits kicked out as the homeowners move on to the premises. Not really Bhuddism, but Buddha’s ideals sometimes get scrapped for the possibility of “good works” that bring good luck or happy spirits. This morning at O’s house (this is Kate’s best friend in the neighborhood), the altar in front of the small home for the spirits had a big basket of fruit, some snacks, incense burning, and an opened beer (from what I can tell this is the drink of choice for most of these spirits and I guess they don’t mind if it is warm…yuk).
Thais are known for their bathing. It is not uncommon for a Thai in hot season to take 3 showers a day. One of their greetings is “Have you bathed yet?” Thus this holiday that is so connected to water is also a time to bathe things. Idols are set up in front of stores for people to scoop cups of water and pour the water over the idols for blessing. On the news last night I watched as ministers in the government held their hands over ornate silver bowls filled with orchids and allowed people to pour water over their hands in an act of blessing.
But the biggest part of the celebration is the massive countrywide water war. In our area it started three days ago, and it will last for another 5 or 6. Right now I see all kinds of pickup trucks driving by with a troop of water soldiers in tow. Their large water barrel is spilling over so that the trucks leak water from their tailgates as they pass by. These trucks have declared war on all the individuals who have preferred establishing the frontlines at the side of the rode in front of their shop or home. And so the next five days will determine whether the pickups or the street corners were strategically more advantageous.
I have to admit, it is nice to see everyone smiling and having fun. It helps slightly to pacify some of the undercurrent of unrest in the country right now. You see, yesterday the Former Prime Minister, Mr. Taksin, who had to flee the country basically because he was stealing money, called, from abroad of course, for revolution. Due to his policies that provided some assistance to the farmers and the common people, Taksin has quite a following from those outside of Bangkok. He claimed, in a broadcast to the protesters, that he would return to lead a revolution; so his people are calling for the present, 4 month old government that “acquired their position unjustly,” to step down. This is not at all out of the range of possibilities, for you see Thailand has seen 18 coups since 1932 and another one is certainly a possibility if there is blood in the streets.
What do I think? There is definitely more to come. It will get worse. And God is bringing his kingdom to this place. You know how the Lord uses a crashing economy in America to wake some people up and force them to remember that everything they have and everything they are is a gift from God. Well a country that has had missionaries for 300 years and remains for all practical purposes untouched by the gospel will require some shaking. The peace loving part of me wants to say I hope it doesn’t cost too much. The selfish part of me, a big part indeed, wants to say I hope that it doesn’t cost me too much. Then I look at my 100% Thai 4 year old son and I think about that guy who found this treasure in a field. You know he buried that treasure immediately and went and gave up everything he owned to buy that field. I know the field is worth it. I look out this window and see the same wet brown skin that I bathe every night. This field, and God’s kingdom coming here, is worth whatever it may cost any of us.
P.S. While I am writing this, a parade went by headed for the high place in Chiang Rai. Yards from me, a woman is riding a golden adorned calf following a sitting Buddha. Other animals, adorned women, fan wavers, and paraders go by. Remind you of anything? When Israel made its golden idols and worshipped them, Moses pleaded with the Lord for His children. I beg of you to go before the father on behalf of the Thai people right now.
14.4.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment