It's Good Friday. I love passion week. I love thinking about Jesus. Lent season this year has me contemplating how the story of my Master's sacrifice shapes me. So today I am reading to the kids at the breakfast table the last 7 statements of Jesus before His death. All these statements are beautiful and challenging. Amidst statements like "Woman, here is your son," "My God, my God, why have you abandoned me?" and "It is finished," the phrase "I'm Thirsty" in John 19:27 perhaps lags behind in significance. Of course he was thirsty. I have never been crucified, but I have a feeling it gives one cotton mouth at least as much as running a few miles. Yet this morning this phrase "I'm thirsty" would not keep quiet. "I'm thirsty." It's still ringing in my ears.
Suddenly, Jesus' previous statements of thirst came to me. John 4:13 (to the Samaritan woman at the well) "Everyone who drinks this water will get thirsty again and again; But anyone who drinks the water that I give will never thirst-- not ever. The water I give will be a spring within, gushing fountains of endless life." John 6:33 "Jesus answered: 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never be hungry; he who believes in me will never thirst. John 7:37 "On the final and climactic day of the Feast, Jesus took His stand. He cried out, "If anyone thirsts, let him come to me and drink. Rivers of living water will brim and spill out of the depths of anyone who believes in me in this way."
And finally John 19:28, "Jesus, seeing that everything had been completed so that the Scripture record might also be complete, then said, 'I'm thirsty.'"
The one who is the spring of life for the dry empty cistern of every man and woman became a dry well. He who created every source of water for our physical existence as humans became parched. The Answer to all our water rationing, water conservation programs, global warming, irrigation needs became thirsty.
Today we humbly celebrate what Martin Luther called "the great exchange." My sin (thirst) for His life (water). I am so thankful.
21.3.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Thai'ed Together,
ReplyDeleteI'm Wes from Texas. From 95-97 I attended AMC while finishing ACU, our paths might have crossed, then. Yancy help me face my 'beloved enemy' in 2001. I was in Gordon and Kathy Harris' home group, and it was like 'weed and feed' for my stubborn, selfish, hungry soul. I still keep in touch with Jesse Bruton & John Eric Swenson.
I stumbled upon your blog and was encouraged by your faith. And I rejoice with you on the great exchange.
Brent and Julie-
ReplyDeleteThis is Amanda (Sheppard) Turk from ACU 10 years ago (I'm Bryanna's friend and baby-sat for Ben). I just spent a little bit of time reading your blog and it is so fun to see Ben and Kate so grown up. Jak looks like he is so fun and full of life! My husband has the possibility of a job opportunity in Bangkok next year and I thought I remembered that you were there, so I went on a little google hunt and found you:) We don't know what God's plan for us is and Bangkok may not turn out to be a part of it, but I'm glad to have the opportunity to to see your sweet family and read your encouraging words through your blog. I pray that you will continue bless and be blessed. If it seems like my husband's job does head in that direction in the future, I would love to be able to e-mail you if you wouldn't mind. My e-mail address is aturk3(at)cox(dot)net.
hey Brent..
ReplyDeleteIts Ruthie S could you email me when you get a chance.. i am running a marathon and have a question for you about it. (crazy huh?)
ruthieartworks@yahoo.com
hope yall are all fantastic!!!!
blessings
ruthie